Is Healthcare a right or a privilege?

Posted by 70sfamily | 7:32:00 PM


Should healthcare be available to everyone regardless if they can pay or not? Should the govt be responsible for the healthcare of all? Can you ask a doctor to be paid less yet still carry a full panel of patients. Obamas plan will drastically cut the money to providers and Doctors. I am sure that many people who now would like to go to Med school will think twice if they will not make the wage current doctors are. Why would someone want to train for 10 years to be paid what the gov't says your worth? Why would a doc want to put himself in risk of malpractice law suits for the lousy reimbursement of gov't payors.

DAR
It is not a right, it is a commodity.

patchouli4279
No it is not a right. There is no such thing as a right that requires the rights of others to be harmed in order for you to have it.

Rights are inalienable.

JAY
Heathcare is a privilige not a right


I would like to see healthcare become more affordible to those with lower incomes & more insurance & payment options availible, but as for the governemt healthcare. no

Max Hoopla
That seems to be the big question now.

HQ
It is a responsibility of the individual.

Who's Your Daddy Now
sense I can't afford a doctor now why should I care about the future of your health care?

Retta's back
A privilege! Get a job, and pay for your own health care, just like I did!

Psychedelic Trance
Some people require healthcare in order to live. So in that sense, denying them healthcare would be denying them the right to live...but then again giving them healthcare would unfairly come at the expense of many hard-working people who earned everything they had and that would go against equality...

It's a really complicated issue, I can see from both sides on this one.

DukeofDixie
It's not in the Constitution, so it is not a right, not sure about the privilege************************

Timmy!
Your rant reminds of a surgeon I met when I was travelling around Cuba a couple of years ago. I stayed at his house near Playa Giron, as he rented rooms out to tourists as means of making a little money. I learned that he was the top cardio surgeon in the whole of the Caribbean, yet made so little money that he topped up his income by renting out rooms at his home. When I asked him why he stayed in Cuba, when he could make a fortune in the USA, he looked at me in a puzzled way and said "I did not become a doctor & surgeon to make money. I did it so I could help people".

Healthcare is a right that every person has in pretty much all European countries, and also here in Australia. Doctors here & in Europe are very well paid indeed thank you, I don't see them driving beaters or renting out rooms. Those socialized medicine schemes are paid for via methods such as the National Insurance scheme in the UK (which all working persons must pay into), and the Medicare scheme here in Australia. The simple truth is that people like you don't want to see any of your taxes paying for anyone's benefit except your own, a classic example of the rampant selfishness and greed that is inbuilt into the American psyche. The US emblem of the bald eagle should be replaced by an image of Gordon Gekko.

Edit to tianjingabi; I'm English, not Australian. I moved here 2 years ago because I was sick of the weather in Manchester. Funnily enough, I used to live in Sweden, and I'm telling you straight that nobody pays 90% tax-the top earners pay 59%. So perhaps you should actually do some research rather than listening to hearsay. If you don't like my criticism of the USA healthcare system that's fine, you can carry on paying your premiums and hope that you nor your loved ones become one of the 53000 Americans who die each year due to a denied claim. Since you ask, I'm buildings insurance assessor-it's my job to make sure the policyholder gets everything their damaged home requires to get it properly repaired, and also to make sure the insurance company only pays out what it is liable for. I don't get paid extra for denying claims or approving them. I wonder why the USA has seen claims deniers in the healthcare industry recruited at a rate of 25 times the rate of physicians in the last 3 decades?

tianjingabi: My source is a book called Do Not Resuscitate by Dr John D Geyman (that's right, he is.....American), an experienced physician and professor emeritus of medicine at the University of Washington. Look out for it, it's an excellent book. If you are a teacher, then perhaps your willingness to ignore facts and instead spout waffle you heard once from some bloke filters into your lessons-most Americans I met when touring the USA could not place Britain on the globe, let alone Manchester

What do you think? Answer below!

Orignal From: Is Healthcare a right or a privilege?

0 comments