I was referred to an Ophthalmologist from my GP with a serious eye condition that I was told by several Optometrists needed immediate attention with almost daily checking. When I went to the doctor, he said it was indeed serious but didn't explain anything, prescribed a strong medication that can cause long-term damage if taken too long and then left his technicians, who knew nothing of my problem, to check up on me only after 2 weeks after my original appt (he was on vacation apparently). They then didn't contact me for another 2 weeks to tell me to stop taking the medication. This medication should never be taken that long (as I am told by my optometrist and another MD) and one needs to slowly wean oneself from it, which I was not told to do. Although I took myself off the medication beforehand, I want the world to know how bad this doctor treated me without litigating. What should I do that will make them take notice? Websites, complaints, etc.??? Thanks.

crashcaffy
stop with that doc

№1 BOSS♫BIOTCH
Get a new one and report the bad doctor to the proper authorities.

Johnny B
They will have a governing practice body usually in a major city which you should contact.

xxangel1246xx
Call up your local newspaper, or any newspaper. I'm sure they would LOVE to hear the story, considering what that doctor did was illegal. I myself work for an opthamologist, and he would never allow his techs to see patients on his behalf or do anything else that doctor did.

WDOUI
Tell your story to an attorney

the_only_solorose
report his actions to the state medical board.

bmac
Get your self to another ophthalmologist. That's what you should have done during the first 2 weeks with no contact.

Then, why don't you contact a lawyer to see if you have a malpractice case?

thisisme
AMA.com
In future you need to ask questions. When he said it wasn't serious and didn;t explain it was then you should have asked him whatever you weren't clear on. Patients must take some responsibility for their own care, doctors are busy and forgetful sometimes and it is up to the patients to take an active part in their own care. If that's the worst experience you ever have with a doctor, count yourself VERY lucky.
FYI: This would not warrant litigation at all. The doctor did not treat you badly he was simply neglectful re: his info. You're rather over dramatizing.

MJ
Tell the state licenseing board and call yourself an ambulance chase. I doubt you will get much in the way of compensation as you went against orders and took yourself off the medication which hopefully prevented you from being damaged. It is the principle of the thing.

LDBK
You can do all of the above, but why don't you want to litigate? You may not have to go to court, you can settle out of court beforehand. But you DO need to see an attorney!

This man needs to be stopped from doing it again, seeing an attorney will force him to file a claim with his malpractice insurance which is costly to begin with. It will make him either have to pay WAY more in costs to keep insurance or if he is not able to, fold altogether. Either way you hit him and you hit him hard and if a person like this is practicing, this is what he needs. Otherwise others will suffer the same fate as you and you DO have the power to prevent this.

Do NOT wait or worry about costs, most attorneys will accept cases and not charge until/if a settlement can be reached and that is what you need to focus on.

As stated, it doesn't have to go to litigation/court, it can be settled well before that time, but it will make him stand up and take notice and it may make him think twice, loose his insurance or pay exorbitant prices which can possibly ruin him financially/or force him to not be able to practice. But Do take action!

Add your own answer in the comments!

Orignal From: What is the best way to handle a poor experience with a medical doctor that borders on malpractice?

0 comments