For the past two years, my psychologist has known that I smoke cannabis fairly regularly. I feel that she breached confidentiality when she told my mother yesterday, as I was not a danger to myself nor anybody else. I'm interested in suing her for malpractice.
By law, a therapist cannot divulge information unless the patient is a danger to oneself or others.

andy
You were breaking the law and if you are a minor and your mother is your guardian than your psychologist would be required to answer her questions. Also if your mother really wanted to find out all she would have had to do would be to take a hair sample and get it analyzed.

If you are over the age of 18 and living on your own than there maybe a slim case.

inappropriatus
The doctor patient privilege is sacrosanct, but only in terms of the court...your psych cannot testify against you in court.

But they are also not allowed to discuss anything that you do not allow them too...I would contact another health care professional in your area and ask them about their opinion.

What do you think? Answer below!

Orignal From: Do I have a potential malpractice lawsuit against this psychologist?

0 comments